Yesterday's class was interesting and so informative. Ms. Fay Gore is an inspiration to me as a future teacher. As of yesterday in class we gained much information about Social Studies instruction. A great piece of information that I heard Ms. Gore speak upon was the C3 Framework. My gears began to turn in my mind and I became very curious about the C3 Framework. So I took to a Twitter chat to find out more information on the subject.
So this what I found. NCSS tweeted @CivicYouth on C3 implementation in the states http://ow.ly/KTIjt #sschat #c3framework. I clicked on the link and it directed me to http://www.civicyouth.org/states-are-implementing-the-c3-college-career-and-citizenship-framework/. This website provided great information on the C3 Framework. It explains that " The C3 is not a prescriptive set of standards, bit a guide for states as they revise their own standards and other regulations, frameworks, and laws that govern social studies. It is intended to make the social studies more coherent, more challenging, and better aligned with what citizens need to learn and do." The website also explained just as Ms.Gore did that North Carolina will begin revision in 2015-2016, but the state is using the C3 as a curriculum framework.
Also, I found a great resource from a pdf. This resource explains that the "primary purpose of the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework
for Social Studies State Standards is to provide guidance to states on the concepts,
skills, and disciplinary tools necessary to prepare students for college, career, and
civic life. In doing so, the C3 Framework offers guidance and support for rigorous
student learning. That guidance and support takes form in an Inquiry Arc—a set
of interlocking and mutually reinforcing ideas that feature the four Dimensions of
informed inquiry in social studies: 1 Developing questions and planning inquiries;
2 Applying disciplinary concepts and tools; 3 Evaluating sources and using evidence;
and 4 Communicating conclusions and taking informed action."
As a future teacher this is very important to recognize and implement in the classroom. The C3 framework is weaved into our Common Core and Essential Standards. Just as the C3 framework is used to " align standards with what citizens need to learn and do" we must also teach these concepts to our students. The resource provided a great quote, "ACTIVE AND RESPONSIBLE CITIZENS
identify and analyze public problems; deliberate
with other people about how to define and
address issues; take constructive, collaborative
action; reflect on their actions; create and
sustain groups; and influence institutions
both large and small." We as teachers must teach our students to be aware of their responsibilities and to demonstrate these actions for our students.
Resources:
http://www.civicyouth.org/states-are-implementing-the-c3-college-career-and-citizenship-framework/
http://www.socialstudies.org/system/files/c3/C3-Framework-for-Social-Studies.pdf
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteas I was writing my blog I wanted to include information on the C3 Framework, but I could not remember the name of it for anything! I'm so glad that you chose to write your blog about it. Thank you for explaining what it is and what's it's purpose is; to give guidelines on what students need to prepare them for college, career, and civic life. I loved the quote you gave at the end. You can even take that quote and replace the word "citizens" with "teachers." Great post!
Becca
Taylor -
ReplyDeleteThis wasn't really something I remembered from when we spoke to Fay Gore, so I appreciate you educating me on this! But now that I am hearing those words, I am remembering more clearly what she was talking about! Preparing the way for college, career and civic life.
"...'align standards with what citizens need to learn and do' we must also teach these concepts to our students."
Slow clap for this. Thank you for this quote! I find it so important to actually teach the students real life concepts that prepare them as citizens in this country. I am realizing now in my college years just how important this instruction is. Thank you for sharing!
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI also heard Fay Gore mention the C3 framework and had no idea what it meant so I as well did further research on it. I found that it was designed for the states as they implement and revise their standards and it was intended for the educators to fulfill as well. I think the goal of the C3 framework is so meaningful and spot-on as it encourages states and educators to give students the means for "college, career, and civic life." These three things are so essential for a citizen living in the 21st century. Thanks for sharing!
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI was also very curious and interested in what the C3 Framework was. I researched it farther and found that it is intended to prepare students for not only college and a career, but also for civic life. All three of these are critical for students to grow into engaged citizens in the twenty first century. I really loved the quote that you posted at the end! It is essential for students to learn these real world concepts. This quote can also be flipped back to us as future teachers. Great post!