Tuesday, April 7, 2015

NCPTS

This last two weeks of class have been very important and dare I say stressful. Stressful in a good way, if stress can be good! In these last two weeks we have studied extensively on the Teacher Candidate standards that we must demonstrate as student teachers but most importantly as teachers in the classroom. The enormity and weightiness of these standards have shown me areas in which I need to grow in to be proficient. The significance of these standards are more important to me now then ever before because in less than a year I will be student teaching. I have done much self-reflection this week in seeing where I need to grow and improve. So, in this week's blog I have decided to summarize the five standards and relate them to the classroom.

Standard One: Teacher Demonstrates Leadership

Teachers are to demonstrate leadership in the classroom, in their school, and in the profession. The demonstration of leadership allows the teacher to be accountable for their actions and to continue to grow as not only teachers but as learners. As a teacher leader in the classroom the teacher takes responsibility for the progress of all of their students. In being a leader in the school the teacher is to collaborate with colleagues and establish goals and plans for the improvement of the school. As a leader in the profession, teachers should constantly be making strides to promote professional growth.

Standard Two: Teachers Establish a Respectful Environment for a Diverse Population of Students

As I explained in class today standard two follows the idea that teachers should not only respect and accept diversity in the classroom but it should flow into the instruction. Teachers can say that they are treating everyone fairly and respect them, but the instruction may not be differentiated for the diversity of the classroom.



Standard Three: Teachers Know the Content They Teach

This standard may seem silly but it is a very important and relevant standard. If we as teachers do not know what we are teaching, then we are not teaching. The most important thing that should be followed in demonstrating this standard is to know the NCSCOS. While being in Social Studies Methods I have become so familiar with Social Studies standards and we as teachers should know all of the standards. As a elementary education teacher it is our job to master K-6 content. Failing to demonstrate this standard will not only affect our teaching but will affect the learning of our students. Being in the 21st century we no longer have the excuse to not know something. All the information is at our fingertips.

Standard Four: Teachers Facilitate Learning for Their Students

In facilitating learning teachers should know their students and how they think and learn. If our instruction is not differentiated based on their needs than we are neglecting the essentiality of allowing our students to learn freely and without judgment. Teachers should know how to communicate with their students. Another key factor to facilitating learning is in how we assess our students. Our formative and summative assessments must be put in place that allows us to develop our lessons based on what our students are gaining from our instruction. I have had to learn quickly that if something is not working don't be afraid to change it. It is better to change your plan than to have students fall into a gap.

Standard Five: Teachers Reflect on Their Practice

Lastly, but certainly not least is teachers reflect on their practice. As a future teacher I have had to learn to reflect on the lessons that I have taught. While many times it is hard to do it is absolutely necessary. The document provided by the state outlines the great purpose of reflecting on our practice as, "Think systematically and critically ­about learning in their classroom: why learning happens and what can be done to improve student achievement..." Improvement of our practice is what comes out of reflecting on our practice.  I don't know about you but I am not perfect so this provides a way that I can hone in on my weaknesses and make them stronger.

Here is the document that is provided from the State of North Carolina on the professional standards. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/effectiveness-model/ncees/standards/prof-teach-standards.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Hey Taylor. Love the visual! I also have been able to determine areas in which I need to become proficient. I love they way in which you worded what you got from each standard. Reading you blog has once again helped me out so much because it's like a review session of the past two classes. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor Lanning

    ReplyDelete