Because I am not an expert in TPACK mostly because only 24 hours ago was my first encounter I went on a search to deepen my understanding. So I took to a twitter chat and found great buzz about Dr. Matthew Koehler. Dr. Koehler maintains a website about TPACK. Fortunately he explains that TPACK, "attempts to identify the nature of knowledge required by teachers for technology integration in their teaching, while addressing the complex, multifaceted and situated nature of teacher knowledge. At the heart of the TPACK framework, is the complex interplay of three primary forms of knowledge..." Of course we learned yesterday these three forms of knowledge are Content Knowledge, Pedagogical Knowledge, and Technological Knowledge.
TPACK incorporates the cohesion of these primary forms of knowledge rather than isolating them. As we discussed in class, 15 years ago content and pedagogy knowledge were all that teachers needed to teach because technology had not taken the center of learning as of yet. For 2015 teachers and beyond we have the task of incorporating not only content and pedagogy but also technology. As a future teacher I find it quite intimidating to know that there is so much that we should be doing and it is not being done intentionally nor appropriately.
Our TPACK game yesterday was very eye-opening for my understanding. We were able to incorporate standards, strategies, and technology. What I think was the greatest learning experience from the game was to be able to change the form of technology that we were using based on the content or pedagogy. I feel that it is very important that I take the same strategies to the classroom. To be an intentional teacher in my future classroom, TPACK should be a prevalent and should fit the students that I will be teaching that have developed in an era of technology.
If you are still struggling with TPACK here is a great video that you should watch!
Resources:
http://mkoehler.educ.msu.edu/tpack/what-is-tpack/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagVSQlZELY
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI think it's great that you used Twitter to find out more about TPACK and to get differing definitions/opinions from multiple sources on what TPACK is. I like the statement you made: "TPACK incorporates the cohesion of these primary forms of knowledge rather than isolating them" because it shows that technology, pedagogy, and content cannot be isolated in regards to TPACK and in regards to being a successful and meaningful teacher. I watched the video you shared too and it was a great source in understanding more about what TPACK is. I really like how the video posed technology as a partner as it supports the content and pedagogy, and I definitely see pedagogy and technology merging together in the near future (how to teach the content in a technological way).
Great thoughts!
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job defining TPACK and how to integrate all three forms in unity. I loved that you used Twitter to further your understanding of TPACK. I liked that you said that "For 2015 teachers and beyond we have the task of incorporating not only content and pedagogy but also technology." As twenty first century teachers we have the opportunity to step out of comfort zones. We can take risks and try different things to enhance student learning and engagement. Thanks for sharing the video with the class! It really helped me understand what TPACK is and how to effectively use it as a future classroom teacher. Great post!
I love your definition of TPACK...well stated!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you were able to find some resources to further your understanding of TPACK. How did the class and your own research help you to build intentional connections to your future classroom? How did your mindset of instructional technology change?
-JP