Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Teaching With A Flipped Lesson

As I have gained the experience of teaching a flipped lesson and using learning experiences for the next day in class I found that it is interesting to say the least. Honestly, I really like the flipped classroom it allows for the teacher and the students to participate in learning experiences that will enrich their understanding of the information that it being taught.

As of yesterday I taught my first flipped lesson and did the learning experiences in class. While technology was not cooperative as I would have liked I did think that the lesson was overall good. Of course there are always things that I can improve on but I think that it was pretty successful.

For my blog this week I wanted to do a self-reflection on my lesson. First of all I should have checked the technical resources that I was using in my lesson before I taught. Secondly, I did not give the "ground rules" on the use of cellphones in the classroom. As we all know it is extremely hard to make the connection that while we are teaching college students we should teach/treat them as the grade that we are teaching.

Overall, I feel that the flip lessons that have been taught for Social Studies methods have been great and I believe that it has greatly prepared us for teaching in an actual classroom.


As pertaining to the NC Professional Teaching Standards I feel that I was able to  demonstrate all of the standards but I do believe that I do need some work in standard four that Teacher Facilitates Learning for Their Students. I do not know if I clarified the expectations for the students or if I was able to successful allow them to learn and grow during the lesson.



I thought I would post flip classroom lesson! Enjoy!

http://app.emaze.com/@AOTWCCRF/trail-of-tears

4 comments:

  1. Taylor,

    I am glad to see that you are already making great connections between your lessons on campus to the instrument that you will be evaluating on in student teaching (and beyond). You are celebrating the things you did well along with areas where you feel you need to improve. This is evidence that you are always wanting to improve your instructional practices. Maintain this practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Taylor Trotter. Honestly, I thought you did an awesome job with your flipped lesson. Yes, there was one technical glitch, but more than likely this will happen to you more than once in the real teaching world so at least you handled it perfectly and found an alternative plan quick in order to continue the lesson. Thanks for sharing!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor Lanning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed your lesson! And your flipped video was awesome!! Thank you for giving me that resource to look to when I am searching for other forms of technology to use. I appreciate your honesty and openness about how you think you performed and I love how you related this reflection to adhering to the teaching standards! Go Trotter Trotter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,
    Teaching flipped lessons the past two weeks has been an interesting but great experience. I have a lot to learn and work on still but I have learned a lot from teaching the flipped classroom method and will have a lot to carry with me when I teach another flipped lesson. I think you did so great teaching your lesson and handled the technical problems well. It is so essential to reflect on your lesson and I like that you were so honest with yourself for what you did well on and what you needed to work on. Thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to hearing you teach the upcoming lesson!

    ReplyDelete