Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Digital Literacy

As of yesterday literacy in our minds was parallel with reading. When asked what is literacy?, we responded with books, comprehension, understanding, fluency, etc. When asked about literacy in 2015, our answers changed drastically. We moved away from literacy just involving reading but expanded it to many other specified areas. These areas included economics, environmental, and also digital literacy. By the time I left class the gears in my mind were turning.As has been explained over the past few months in class technology has spread to many and almost all aspects of our lives.

To gain deeper understanding of  literacy in 2015 and specifically digital literacy I went on the search for other information. I found a pdf by Yoram Eshet-Alkalai and Oren Soffer. They explain that concerning technology, "It has become an essential element in learning, interpersonal communication, organizational work, and our leisure time. Extensive research has recently undertaken to assess how digital technologies—such as e-book readers, social media, mobile technologies and multi-player online games—are actually altering the traditional modes of learning, knowledge construction, cognitive and social skills, information distribution and consumption, as well as social participation and relationships."
I believe these two sentences capture the fact that technology plays a large role in today's society and not only in society but also in education. The last sentence explains that it has changed the traditional modes of learning, knowledge construction, cognitive and social skills, etc.
This resource explains that digital literacy is defined as " the ever-expanding and changing digital technologies confront users with the need to master a wide range of technological, cognitive and social competences." The resource also details that " users thus must become “digitally literate” in order to cope effectively with the complex sociological, cognitive and pedagogical challenges these technologies pose."

As future teachers it is not only our duty to have our students to be literate in language arts but also in an ever-changing era of technology. The large role of technology should not only change the traditional modes of instruction but should also change the way teachers teach. In NCPTS standard explains that teachers demonstrate leadership. In following this standard of helping our children become digitally literate we are taking responsibility for our students learning.

I also found a great video that may help with understanding digital literacy!

Resources:
http://www.ifets.info/journals/15_2/1.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSIcLO3Z_Q

3 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor Trotter! Love the video you included! I think it's so awesome that literacy has taken digital form. Clearly, technology plays a major role in today's society and education. I'm excited to be able to use digital literacy in my future lessons as it helps the book come to life in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor Lanning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    I really liked the video you shared with the class! I loved your statement about technology playing a large role in education today. In today's society is crucial for students to be literate in ELA and in technology. I also liked that you included that the role of technology should change our instruction. If technology is used in a meaningful way it can enhance student's learning and help make connections. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you have continued to unpack what literacy is. Unfortunately, many teachers still treat literacy as if it were 1985 but it is important to truly understand the changes that have occurred. Literacy is so important to truly understand and I am glad to see that you are already heading down that path. Keep on researching this topic so you are grounded in great literacy practices when you get to student teaching!

    -JP

    ReplyDelete