In an effort to explore and deepen my understanding of learning experiences I went on a search. Fortunately, I was able to find the pdf of chapter 5, Concept Based Teaching and Learning. This article not only helped me to deepen my understanding of learning experiences is also helped me with developing my guiding questions for my CBI unit plan. This pdf is from a book, The Developing Concept-Based Teacher. This pdf explains
"A developing concept-based teacher evolves in multiple ways.
The
following three categories capture the essential areas of a teacher’s
growing expertise:"
• Understanding Concept-Based
Curriculum and Instruction
• Concept-Based Lesson Planning
• Concept-Based Instruction
There is a great explanation that is provided in the different parts of concept-based instruction and these three points are for when a teacher is developing his/her lesson,
In planning a concept-based lesson, there needs to be coherence among
each of the lesson components. This means:
• the examples of factual content and skills exemplify the
generalization(s) (conceptual understandings) students are expected
to realize,
• guiding questions are used to bridge students’ thinking from the
factual knowledge (or examples) to the generalization (conceptual
level of understanding),
• the learning experiences (student assignments) are designed to support
students’ learning of the knowledge and/or processes that exemplify
the generalizations to be realized and understood, and finally,
• assessments are aligned to the identified learning targets, knowledge,
skills, and understanding(s), of the lesson.
This pdf helped me out greatly. In understanding that fact based instruction is no longer an effective way in which to reach my future students it is absolutely essential that I gain as much knowledge that I need to help my students to grow and understand social studies. If I neglect to put guiding questions in my lesson then students will not be able to connect the factual information to the concepts that I am trying to teach. Also, learning experiences are used to support students' learning and allow the teacher to see the understanding of his/her students. In connecting this with the NC Teaching Standards it is very evident that it encompasses, Teachers Demonstrate Leadership, Teachers Know The Content They Teach, and Teachers Facilitate Learning For Their Students.
Resource:
http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/59988_Erickson_57_60.pdf
Hey Taylor Trotter. I agree with the three categories that capture the essential areas of a teacher's growing expertise being understanding concept-based curriculum instruction, concept-based lesson planning, and concept-based instruction. I also appreciate the fact that the article explains in further depth what incorporating coherence among each of the lesson components actually means. Thanks so much for sharing this PDF!
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Taylor Lanning
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the pdf; it really helped bring the components of concept-based learning all together! I like how the pdf unified learning experiences, guiding questions, assessments, facts, topics, concepts, skills, and generalizations, and demonstrated the need for each component to reflect each other in order to produce quality concept-based instruction for the students. I love how you tied in the NCPTS at the end! It helped me see how the mere essence of concept-based instruction reflects NCPTS.
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate how you connected the creation of great learning experiences to the NCPTS Standard IV - Teachers Facilitate Learning for their Students. Creating great learning experiences allow the students you will serve to obtain a deeper understanding of the content, thus truly LEARNING the concepts and not just writing information down on a worksheet. Keep making these connections!
JP