What we did in class today, was a real brain workout. Honestly, a brain workout is a understatement. While I left wishing I had taken Tylenol I did however understand how to make generalizations a little better after class.
I did not realize that we were having to completely forget the way that we were taught in school and re-learn the effective and appropriate way.
I found a blog that discussed generalizations. In Bridging The Gap, there is a great definition for generalizations."Generalizations: a statement of a relationship between two or more concepts. It is believed to be true and applies to similar situations regardless of time, space, and culture. This statement may be used as a tool for prediction and is often framed as an if/then statement.
Here is a quote taken from the blog that discusses the importance of generalization:
"Shively & Misco (2009) suggest that generalizations are a logical step in teaching kids to think critically about what they know and transferring that knowledge to a variety of topics within the social studies.After understanding the relationship between "fact" and "concept" students will be capable of producing high-quality generalizations that eliminate isolation of ideas and stimulate crossover and relevance to the social studies curriculum."
What we did in class today follows along with the quote presented in Bridging The Gap. We were able to make connections with concepts such as environment, society, regions,leadership, culture, diversity, and many of others. Bridging The Gap explains that lack of generalizations is caused by increased burden of testing and standards.
Also, here is another great quote that shows the potential outcomes that can be seen by teaching generalizations in the classroom.
"Not only does a focus on generalizations have the promise to enhance vibrancy of classes and student interest, but it also as the potential to raise test scores through enhanced understanding of the content and improve the development of citizenship skills and dispositions."
For More Visit:
https://researchtopractice.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/the-importance-of-generalizations-in-social-studies/
Hey Taylor. I'm right there with you regarding the Tylenol. Although it's very frustrating that we are having to complete unlearn and relearn what we were taught in school, I also think it is for the best because in this day and age students need a new way of being taught, not an outdated version of teaching. I love the definition you found on generalizations, that's a perfect way to think about it. I also agree with the quote you pulled from the blog. Thanks so much for sharing Taylor!
ReplyDeleteSincerely,
Taylor Lanning
"A real brain workout..." I have never seen that phrase used to describe one of my classes before...but...I love the comparison! Concept-based instruction is an awesome model for teaching and I am glad you are willing to learn as much as you can. When concept-based is truly embraced, the teacher AND the students benefit because of the way social studies can impact all of us. I agree with the "vibrancy" aspect of generalizations and I fully agree. I appreciate the steps you are taking outside of the class to truly prepare yourself to be the best teacher you can be. What other steps are you going to take with generalizations to make sure you have a full understanding? - JP
ReplyDelete