Friday, January 23, 2015

Concept Web

In this third week of class we have continued to expound on concept-based instruction. As we have discussed concepts are the umbrella that topics fall under. By teaching concepts to students we are allowing them to make connections with what is being taught. It is very important that allowing our student to make deeper connections creates a better atmosphere for learning.

Now, that I understand what concept-based instruction I needed to dig deeper in how to develop teaching strategies to help develop my concept, of course I need to develop my concept first.

As an assignment we have to complete our concept web so again I went on the search on how to appropriately create my concept that aligns with all five strands of social studies. Fortunately I found a pdf that allowed me to grasp the idea of creating concepts for lessons. The article is, "Getting The Big Idea: Concept Based Teaching and Learning", on page three it provides a template to implement CBI. On part two of the template it asks, "Think about this unit, what is the most important idea that you want your students to remember when they leave your class? Then it proceeds by, "summarize this "big idea"in one word." This pdf actually got my mind to turning and helped me understand how to effectively implement concept based on the topics that needed to be taught. This is a great template that may help us in developing our concept web. So, check it out!

"Getting The Big Idea:Concept Based Teaching and Learning"
http://worldview.unc.edu/files/2013/07/Getting-the-Big-Idea-Handout.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hey Trotter Trotter. I remember discussing how concepts are the umbrella that topics fall under. I agree with you that by teaching students to make deeper connections we are creating a better atmosphere for learning. I'm really glad you were able to find a PDF file that helps explain the idea of creating concepts for lessons better because I am extremely nervous about making my concept web since I have never been taught in that format before. I'll definitely be using that link when I attempt to fill out my concept map. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Sincerely,
    Taylor Lanning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,
    I really like that you included that concepts are the "big idea" or "big umbrella" that topics and facts fall under. I completely agree that concept-based instruction creates a better atmosphere for learning. With the diversity of multiple intelligence's and abilities it is crucial to include different ways that each student can excel to make meaningful connections. I love that you included a resource to help with developing our concept webs, It was very insightful and I plan on using it in the future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor,

    I have seen this resource before and it is great! Please post a copy to the "Students Helping Students" tab on BB. What other resources have you found? What connections have you made to your future classroom or as a life-long learner?

    ReplyDelete