Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Revised Bloom's Taxonomy

Class yesterday was a complete eye opener. Though I had heard of New Bloom's Taxonomy and had used the verbs to create my objectives in my lesson plans I now have seen the difference between the way that we view Bloom's and the actual meaning of Bloom's. If really made an impact on me that what we see as being remembering is not the way that Bloom's views remembering. As explained in class what many teachers would say is remembering on Bloom's the students are doing nothing and it does not fall on the Revised Bloom's Taxonomy. This was quite disturbing for me as a student and a future educator.
I really enjoyed our formative assessment yesterday in using the verbs that are placed in the taxonomy. 
I found a great resource from Iowa State University that is an interactive model that shows examples of learning objectives that generally match each of the various combinations of the cognitive process and knowledge dimensions. In the knowledge dimension it shows factual, conceptual, procedural, and metacognitive. This is such an informative model and allowed me to see steps that build upon each other in the knowledge dimension under conceptual. This resource also shows a table that relates with yesterday's activity. Also, table two helps differentiate the major types and subtypes of the knowledge dimension.
So if you want more information on the Revised Bloom's Taxonomy, visit:
http://www.celt.iastate.edu/teaching-resources/effective-practice/revised-blooms-taxonomy/

Table 2. The knowledge dimension

3 comments:

  1. Learning about what Revised Bloom's Taxonomy really is surprised me too. I didn't realize that the definitions in the Revised Bloom's Taxonomy were different than the dictionary definitions. Thanks for sharing this great website, it definitely made Revised Bloom's Taxonomy make more sense. I loved the interactive model, and this will be a helpful resource when we become future teachers, as we will have to understand this model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    Awesome finds! I especially like Table 2. As you have probably thought, many teachers never reach the metacognitive level with their students. This is sad because this is where true (high-level) understanding occurs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor,

    I agree that the discussion on Bloom's Revised Taxonomy was very insightful. Even though I had used verbs in my lesson plans to make learning goals I now know the difference. It goes beyond a student remembering a fact that they have heard before. It is crucial for students to understand the material they are repeating. Thanks for sharing this article! I really like the interactive model. It was very helpful to see how the different steps build on each other under conceptual knowledge. Great post!

    ReplyDelete